This is a recipe from Brian McDermott’s Donegal Table, a wonderful selection of dishes the award-winning chef cooks at home for his own family…
Sliders are a great way to welcome guests to your home. This combination gives a great taste of the sea and the land that produce the great seafood and beef we are famous for in Donegal.
For the burgers
1 small onion, diced
Drizzle of rapeseed oil
400 g minced beef
Pinch of nutmeg
30 g breadcrumbs
50 g Cheddar cheese, grated
For the dressing
75 g mayonnaise
Squeeze of lemon juice
100 g Malin Head crab meat
8 mini brioche buns
8 slices of tomato
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- For the burgers, fry the diced onion in the oil. Place the minced beef in a bowl, then add the cooked onion, egg, nutmeg and breadcrumbs. Add the grated cheese and combine to form eight evenly shaped mini burgers. Set aside.
- To make the tartare dressing, put all the ingredients in a blender and blitz.
- Mix the dressing with the crab meat.
- Fry the mini burgers in a pan for 3 minutes on each side, then transfer to the oven to cook through in the centre.
- Toast the brioche buns.
- To serve, place a mini burger on each brioche-bun base. Add a slice of tomato and a spoonful of the crab-meat mix and then put the other half of the bun on top.
Replace the crab with freshly grilled prawns.
Recipe is by Brian McDermott from Brian McDermott’s Donegal Table, published by The O’Brien Press. Available from all good bookshops now.
Photographs by A Fox in the Kitchen.