Ahead of Coeliac UK’s Awareness Week on 14 – 20 May, we are bringing you a delicious gluten free Chicken Kiev recipe that you are set to adore.
Coeliac UK, the trusted organisation of anyone living gluten free, is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year and the Chicken Kiev recipe has been specially designed as a range of 1960s recipes that can be found here.
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 175g butter, softened
- juice ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper to season
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken fillets
- 250g dried breadcrumbs
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 100g Gluten Free plain flour
- A pinch of paprika
- 4 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil, for frying
- To make the garlic butter place all the ingredients in a bowl and season well. Mash with a fork until well combined. Wrap clingfilm around the butter and shape it into sausage. Now tightly wrap the “sausage”, and chill or freeze it until it is really firm. This can be made up to three days in advance.
- To prepare the chicken, use a sharp knife to make a deep pocket inside the breast. Be careful not to cut all the way through the breast or the butter will leak out when cooking. Repeat with the remaining breasts. Push a slice of the garlic butter inside each chicken breast, press to flatten and re-seal with your hands. Set aside.
- To make the coating, place the breadcrumbs on one plate, and tip the eggs onto another. On a third plate, mix the flour with paprika and some salt. Dip each breast in the flour, then the egg and finally the breadcrumbs, repeating so each Kiev has a double coating (this will make them extra crisp and help to keep the butter inside). Chill for at least 1 hour before cooking.
- To cook pre-heat, the oven to 180˚ C, gas mark 4.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Fry the Kievs for 2-3 mins each side until golden – you may need to do this in batches. Transfer to a baking tray and cook for 25 minutes until cooked through. Serve with new potatoes and salad.
For more gluten free recipes, head to Coeliac UK’s website, which provides over 900 delicious recipes – from beginners to experts, there is a recipe for everyone.